- Catholic schools in DC make room for special ed. A good and relevant story from @michaelalison. http://bit.ly/bwDzRv #
- NOW this gets interesting (in DC navel-gazing way): @jimbradysp hires @erikwemple as editor of Allbritton's local news site. (via @jfdulac) #
- Geez. Canada woke up. With puck control like that 1st period, who cares whether Luongo, Brodeur or Chretien is in net. #
- 4-0 Canada — TV listings are screwed up: These must be the Canuck women playing Germany. #
- Wow! — fm @latimeshiltzik, Dodgers' owner & his wife had $108M in income fm 04 to 09. Paid $0 in income tax. http://ow.ly/1aBik #
I noticed today that my friend Eric Radovich has a new job — executive director of the Washington Beer Commission. This makes it official: Eric Radovich is the coolest person I know. He is also the announcer for University of Washington football and an official scorer for the Seattle Mariners. And he gets to live in Seattle!
Most folks wouldn’t think of beer as an agricultural product, but in Washington state, that’s exactly what it is. Beer’s distinctive taste comes primarily from one ingredient — hops — and Washington is renowned for the hops it grows. Forty percent of the world’s supply comes out of Washington, most of those near Yakima, where I lived for four years and, coincidentally enough, where I met Eric. In springtime, the back roads of the Yakima Valley are overwhelmed with the smell of hops blooming.
The funny thing is, I didn’t care for beer one bit when I arrived in Yakima. Beer in Texas was typically sold by the suitcase, bland and insipid.
That changed when I got to the Pacific Northwest, where beer was distinctive and even bold. (I had the same awakening about coffee, but that’s a story for another time.)
- A very classy move from @CaronButler — saying goodbye to DC in today's WaPo: http://bit.ly/cL2DHG #
- Dear Santa, rlly early for this, I know, but for Christmas can u bring a Team USA thrwbk jersey with Miller/39 on back. http://bit.ly/crp7Yo #
- Publishing an interoffice discussion on a sensitive topic (a la Newsweek) should be out of bounds. http://bit.ly/9hU5rZ (via @vijay) #
- Otherwise, your no-holds-barred conversation will become a lot more cautious, and therefore, less useful. #
- Fm NYT's @RichSandomir, a good expl of *why* NBC screwed America (or at least its hockey fans) on Sun http://ow.ly/1a9ow #
- Whole family spent day getting geeked up for USA-Canada hockey tonite, only to find just before game time that NBC isn't carrying it. Argh!! #
- Hurray! Oh, and US up 1-0 RT @meredithshiner Follow @SI_sarahkwak for updates from tonight's USA-Canada game. #
- As entertaining as ski cross is, I cannot believe NBC execs figured THIS wld do better numbers than #USvsCanada What a dumb network. #
- NBC gives us the final 30 seconds of a huge hockey game. And five minutes of postgame analysis Thank you, Bob Costas! Thank you! #