- Interesting for "intuitive" Apple MT @gruber: Top Lion tip: No matter how wrong it feels, stick with the new trackpad scrolling direction. #
- I find it heartening, and surprising, that US media (ABC, CNN, WaPo) paying attn to #Somalia famine http://ow.ly/5Jm2h #
- Sumatriptan also known as migraine drug Imitrex. RT @daveweigel: Bachmann reveals she takes sumatriptan and odansetron. #
- Explains that ugly, ugly bunt #astros MT @campbellchron: Brett Wallace's first career sacrifice puts Pence on third and Lee on second. #
- It's go time! RT @katierogers: Listen to the gnome! MT @stanfordc Dear America: One does not "hone in" on a target. "Hone" means to sharpen. #
- RT @mikerosenwald: Only 52% of Americans approve of God's job performance http://bit.ly/pW9tSb #
- All right, America: Why is "Washington Post" the #3 search on Google at this hour? http://ow.ly/5LhMe #
- !! RT @jennagiesta: @mrbutterworth Political types following the debt limit debate are the only ones left at their desks? #
- Could be this RT @ssawchenko: @mrbutterworth Debt Coverage. & It's hot in the entire country & everyone is inside, online, worrying 'bout $. #
- MT @washingtonpost: Talks between WH, Boehner over debt have broken down, House GOP aides say. Obama speaking soon. http://t.co/x6vWoYR #
- RT @ethanklapper: RT @cbellantoni: Seriously. RT @sbondioli: Congress: Ruining journalists' Friday nights since 1789. #
- RT @mkady: The new deadline isn't Aug. 2 — it's 9:30 a.m. Monday when markets open. Short term extension deal prolly gotta happen by then. #
- Boehner's rebuttal coming at 715p, according to CNN. #
- And why wouldn't you — they're both awesome! RT @4nataliehill: @washingtonpost @mrbutterworth I'm crushin on eugene robinson & the root! #
- Abby Wambach is new coach of the former Washington Freedom after owner/coach is banned from sideline http://ow.ly/5LpdV #
- Saw tonight that a Bengali restaurant has opened in town. I love N Indian food; would I like Bengali? #rkv #
- RT @ethanklapper: RT @gteresa: Newsroom sigh. 9 p.m. Obama speech #
- RT @brianstelter: White House VERY quietly reached out to TV networks earlier today to inquire about prime time air time for a speech. #
- Best news of the day: @thefix, @fixaaron & @fixrachel will live-blog Obama's prime-time speech http://wapo.st/qSw66K #
- WaPo scoop: The inside story of the ATF's Operation Fast and Furious, and how it all went wrong http://ow.ly/5N2e5 #
- Good ol' Carlos Lee — always good for a big hit when it matters little RT @alysonfooter: Oh Carlos! 16th career grand slam. #
- Redskins, Vikings agree to McNabb trade if he accepts much less money, sez @jay_glazer. Wash gets 6th rounder in 12 and possibly in 13 #
Lots of media interest in the New York Times’ paywall, but nonjournalists are interested in this story too, judging from the regular questions I get about it from family and friends. Here’s a few of my answers.
– Yes, I think it’s a good thing. It’ll get people back into the habit of paying for what’s useful to their lives.
– No, I don’t think the Post is going to follow suit any time soon.
– No, the Times would be very happy if you’d sign up, but this system isn’t really aimed at you.
This last one usually leads to a surprised look and a question: “Not aimed at me?”
No. The meter is there for you, as well as the loopholes for Google News, social media, etc. But the Times is really using the paywall to draw in elite subscribers, those who rely heavily on the NYT’s authority and don’t care about how much access to that information will cost them.
If that reminds you of the Wall Street Journal’s attitude toward its online subscribers, that’s intentional. The Times wants the globally influential audience just as the Journal wants the financial influentially one. (There’d be a lot of crossover in that Venn diagram.)
Global influentials may not be a very big audience, especially compared to the 45 million or so unique visitors who visited the NYT before the wall. But this week’s numbers indicate there are enough of the elites that online subscriptions could end up paying for the entire cost of the newsroom.
Frederic Filloux wrote about this in March when the NYT unveiled its paywall. His crunching of the data showed that 540,000 digital subscribers at $20 a month would be enough, when combined with online advertising revenue, to pay the estimated $200 million that the Times’ news-gathering costs each year.
Those numbers might prove a little rosy, but even if the magic number is 600,000 subscribers, the NYT is well on its way toward hitting that mark, as this week’s announcement of 224,000 digital subscriptions shows.
Good news in the New York Times’ quarterly report, Jeremy W. Peters reports:
Since March … the Times has signed up 224,000 paying subscribers to NYTimes.com.
The numbers were certainly inflated some by an introductory 99-cent rate for digital subscriptions, but by packaging full online access with print subscriptions, the Times also saw a boost in home delivery numbers. That enabled the Times to show a slight boost in circulation revenue.
As the introductory rate expires and more customers begin paying the full price, which starts at $15 every four weeks, The Times expects to see more of a benefit to its bottom line. … [Janet L. Robinson, the Times company's chief executive] added that the digital subscriptions would provide the company “with a significant new revenue stream in the second half of this year.”
- Now following: new Montgomery County schools chief Joshua Starr, at @mcpssuper. http://ow.ly/5E473 #moco #rkv #mcps #
- Does Fingers near UH still have that cool Hou Buffs "museum"? RT @richardjustice: Who wants a Buffs t-shirt? I want a Buffs t-shirt. #
- Thanks, @amichel, for sharing deets today about @propublica's crowd-sourcing. Interesting stuff. #
- We'll be back in 3 yrs. Promise! RT@ethanklapper: RT @anupkaphle: FACT: America will stop caring about soccer starting tomorrow morning. #
- Similar pts to news comments debate RT@marcoarment On Twitter spam, and why I'm not bothering to "Report Spam" anymore http://ow.ly/5HsCR #
- me too, mike RT @katierogers: @mmcphate hey dude. I think your acct was phished. I got a get rich quick msg from you. #
- Makes me laugh that Twitter delivers updates on system status via Tumblr http://ow.ly/5HCJt #
- T.J. Simers is right: US soccer blew it Sunday, and giving them "attagirls" is treating them like 2nd-class athletes http://ow.ly/5HCOX #
- MT @milbank Little noticed milestone tonight: For 1st time, Senate confirms openly gay man to federal bench http://ow.ly/5HDmj #
- Damn you, Melissa Bell! MT @melissabell: I think I just got hypnotized by this Wendi Deng gif. #cannotstopwatching http://ow.ly/5IyZ8 #
- RT @thefix: Texas Lt Gov David Dewhurst filed paperwork today to run for US Senate, according to informed source. #
- House approves Cut Cap & Balance on 234 to 190 vote, splitting almost entirely along party lines http://ow.ly/5IBWW #
- Def worth a click (if you want nightmares!) MT @tweetscience: 21-year-old Kansan has world record tonsils removed. http://bit.ly/qapNOL #